New Look and Messaging More Aligned With Strategic Framework
October 18, 2018, New York – The Center for Constitutional Rights today revealed its new logo, tagline, and key messaging, which include the vision and mission statements, key messages, and boilerplate. The new visual and written elements are more in step with the future of the legal and advocacy organization, which works with communities under threat to fight for justice and liberation.
“As part of the Center for Constitutional Rights’ 50th anniversary celebration in 2016, we revamped our strategic framework and thought about why we do the work we do and what our work could look like in the future,” said Vincent Warren, executive director at the Center for Constitutional Rights. “While our core mission and vision have remained the same, we determined that our future work, new strategic framework, and the more expansive audiences we want to reach required us to reexamine our mission and vision statements. So, we used this opportunity as a pathway to update our look, vision for the future, and how we achieve it, which are now more adaptive and bold.”
The Center for Constitutional Rights worked 10 months with Big Duck, a Brooklyn-based agency that specializes in non-profit communications, as a guide through the process. The main colors in the new logo are red, black, and white. Big Duck leaned into the Center for Constitutional Rights’ legacy of using law as a tool in its approach to fighting for communities under threat, the organization’s historic quest for government transparency, and holding this body accountable for its injustices in designing the new logo, which includes a broad stroke that highlights “rights” in the name. The new strategic framework is the foundation for the updated mission, vision, and key messaging.
The new identity and key messaging are coming on the heels of the Center for Constitutional Rights’ staff growth – the organization has welcomed nearly 20 people to its family in the last two years. Moreover, approximately 15 years have passed since the organization last updated its look and messaging.
“The Center for Constitutional Rights is entrenched in such exciting work - we’re growing, reaching new audiences, and implementing new strategies across our Legal, Advocacy, and Communications departments. Additionally, the value of our work in today’s political climate is immeasurable. Our new look and messaging are right on time,” said Chandra M. Hayslett, communications director for the Center for Constitutional Rights. “There is so much internal excitement about our new look and messaging. We are hopeful our external family will embrace these elements as warmly as the staff.”
The Center for Constitutional Rights’ new messaging follows:
Center for Constitutional Rights stands with social justice movements and communities under threat—fusing litigation, advocacy, and grassroots organizing to dismantle systems of oppression regardless of the risk.
Center for Constitutional Rights fights for a world without oppression—where people use their power to achieve justice and guarantee the rights of all.
The Center for Constitutional Rights works with communities under threat to fight for justice and liberation through litigation, advocacy, and strategic communications. Since 1966, we have taken on oppressive systems of power, including structural racism, gender oppression, economic inequity, and governmental overreach.
Too often, the law supports systems of power that violate our most fundamental rights and prevent people from living with dignity. We use creative and aggressive legal strategies against the most virulent forms of oppression to push the law to meet the demands of justice. Our advocacy work complements litigation to build power where it’s most needed, among communities who have been pushed to the margins. Through strategic communications, we shift the dominant narratives that normalize rights violations and increase public support for our efforts.
Our approach is holistic, fearless, and relentless. By partnering with communities fighting for social justice and centering their struggles for liberation, we are able to transform systems, policies, and public narratives. You have a role to play in this fight. Join forces with activists, lawyers, and storytellers to fight oppression and build power at ccrjustice.org.
What we are up against
Too often, the law supports systems of power that violate our most fundamental rights and prevent people from living with dignity.
- We live in a world that legitimizes the systemic oppression of poor people, people of color, and other vulnerable communities through the law.
- Political, economic, and legal systems can restrict civil and human rights to maintain social control in the interest of the powerful.
- When communities under threat demand their rights, they are challenged by overwhelming state, corporate, and other powerful interests that assert control through criminalization, surveillance, collective punishment, violence, intimidation, and other means.
- Targeted communities often have the fewest protections under the law and the least access to legal resources. This imbalance of power leaves people vulnerable to systematic racial and religious profiling, abusive immigration practices, LGBTQ persecution, mass incarceration, corporate exploitation, torture, and more.
What we do
The Center for Constitutional Rights works creatively to advance and defend the constitutional and human rights of social justice movements and communities under threat and helps them build power. We are committed to dismantling systems of oppression and fighting for justice through litigation, advocacy, and narrative shifting.
- Litigation: What is legal is not always just. We use creative and aggressive legal strategies to fight the most virulent forms of oppression and push the law to meet the demands of justice. We are lawyers who center our legal strategies around the aspirations of progressive social movements and those with the least access to justice.
- Advocacy: We prioritize forms of advocacy that complement our legal strategies with short- and long-term campaigns, policy work, trainings, public education, and thought leadership. Alliances with communities, organizations, activists, and storytellers help build power where it’s most needed, among communities who have been pushed to the margins.
- Narrative shifting: We use media and thought leadership to challenge dominant narratives and make space for the voices and experiences of those who have been pushed to the margins. These tactics allow us to shape public opinion about the issues we fight, which can initially be seen as controversial, and create opportunities to dismantle institutionalized power while building the power of social movements.
Why we win
Our approach is holistic, fearless, and relentless. By partnering with communities under threat and centering their struggles for liberation, we are able to transform systems, policies, and public narratives.
- Our litigation and advocacy makes space for our powerful social movement partners and centers the voices of those who have been silenced—because for justice to prevail, the communities who are most affected by oppression must lead the change.
- Our work began on behalf of Civil Rights Movement activists in the 1960s. We come from a long tradition of visionary, radical lawyering, committed to building power inside and outside of the courtroom for the people on the front lines. Today, we continue standing with communities under threat, because together, we put forth movement-led solutions that enable justice.
- Movement lawyering is bigger than winning in the courtroom. We take on cases that shape political discourse and public opinion and serve as a positive example of what legal advocacy can achieve. We often take on legal challenges before other institutions are ready to consider such challenges.
- We recognize the ways the law is used to reinforce pre-existing power structures. For this reason, we apply the law creatively to deploy and build power outside the courtroom.
- We fight oppression on all fronts, demanding accountability from the most powerful systems that suppress communities because we aim to eradicate the underpinnings that sustain oppressive systems of power.
We are calling on you
Join forces with activists, lawyers, and storytellers to fight oppression and build power. You have a role to play. Act. Donate. Share.
- The organizers and communities on the front lines are the very heart of the movements we support. Together, we work to redistribute power to those at the margins and achieve justice. Visit our website at ccrjustice.org to learn more and get involved.
- Donate to help us protect the rights of those most vulnerable.
- We are committed to training the next generation of movement lawyers who will fearlessly demand accountability from oppressive systems of power. Find out how the law can be used as a tool for liberation at ccrjustice.org.
- We amplify the stories and resilience of individuals and communities demanding justice, and we share what that fight looks like every day. Connect with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
The Center for Constitutional Rights works with communities under threat to fight for justice and liberation through litigation, advocacy, and strategic communications. Since 1966, The Center for Constitutional Rights has taken on oppressive systems of power, including structural racism, gender oppression, economic inequity, and governmental overreach. Learn more at ccrjustice.org.