Muhammadi Davliatov

Muhammadi Davliatov was held at Guantánamo without charge for more than fourteen years despite having been approved for transfer for more than six years. On July 11, 2016, the Department of Defense announced Davliatov's transfer to Serbia.

Muhammadi Davliatov was born in 1978 in the Soviet Union, in what was then called the Soviet Socialist Republic of Tajikistan. Tajikistan became an independent nation in 1992 after the collapse of the Soviet Union, but a civil war quickly embroiled the country. Davliatov and members of his family fled across the border into northeastern Afghanistan in 1992 to escape the fighting, but later returned home after some months later when they determined that the area around their hometown of Panj, just across the Panj River from Afghanistan, had calmed down enough for them to return safely. Davliatov also returned home because one of his sisters had remained in hiding in Tajikistan rather than flee with the rest of their family.

In 1997, a tenuous peace was negotiated between the warring factions in Tajikistan, ending the civil war. In the late 1990s, Davliatov became an employee of a Tajik government ministry responsible for dealing with emergencies such as national disasters; that ministry was headed by the person who led the military opposition to the government during the 1992-1997 civil war and the political opposition to the ruling faction of the Tajik government thereafter.

In early 2001, Davliatov abandoned his government position at the ministry and left Tajikistan. He traveled to Afghanistan to see if there were better opportunities for him there, but soon found himself unable to return to Tajikistan. After the United States invaded and began bombing Afghanistan in October 2001, Davliatov fled to Pakistan with thousands of other refugees. He fled to Pakistan rather than return to Tajikistan because the Tajik government, with the assistance of Russian troops, had firmly shut the border. Moreover, as a member of the political opposition who was associated with its leader, it was also too dangerous for him to return to Tajikistan.

In November 2001, Davliatov was arrested by Pakistani authorities in a refugee camp and turned over to U.S. military forces for a bounty. The United States transferred him to Kandahar Air Base in Afghanistan, and then to Guantánamo in February 2002. Despite having been approved for transfer, Davliatov had been held at Guantánamo without charge since 2002 until he was finally released in July 2016.

Last modified 

July 11, 2016