Earlier this year, a man named Mohammed Bawazir, one of dozens of remaining Guantanamo detainees whom the Obama administration has cleared for release and is working to transfer, rejected an offer of resettlement in a third country. The 34-year-old Yemeni has been detained without charge for over 14 years, like most of the remaining Guantanamo population. He has been cleared for release — told that his continuing detention is unnecessary — since 2009, for half the amount of time he has spent in prison. The media called his refusal an astonishing event. Experts said he might have feared the unknown and that his decision might have reflected a sort of helplessness.
June 9, 2016