CCR Attorney Jeena Shah will be speaking at a public hearing to investigate charges that former General David Petraeus was responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity as Iraq/Afghanistan war commander and former CIA chief. The hearing will discuss definitions of war crimes and crimes against humanity, and consider evidence regarding Petraeus’ actions. Ms. Shah is working on the Abu Ghraib torture cases and the Right to Heal initiative regarding the lasting human impact of the Iraq War.
Why is this hearing being held? Because beginning last fall, CUNY’s Board of Trustees hired ex-general Petraeus to teach a course titled “Are We On The Threshold of a North American Decade?” at the Macaulay Honors College. Is his appointment part of an increasing militarization of CUNY, and if so, what does this mean for those who study and work at the City University? The public will consider the facts of the case.
When: Thursday, April 3rd from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Where: CUNY Grad Center, Room 5414
RSVP: Click here to RSVP on Facebook
Speakers (more to be announced soon):
- Lamis Deek, attorney and activist organizer with the New York Lawyers Guild.
- Bina Ahmad, criminal defense lawyer and activist.
- Representative from Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Sándor John, adjunct professor of Latin American history.
- Jeena Shah attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights
- Debra Sweet, World Can't Wait.
**Please bring your ID in order to enter the building