On October 7, 2011, Members of Congress wrote to the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) with questions and concerns about the policies and practices at the Communications Management Units (CMUs), and the circumstances under which they were established. Members outlined their concerns regarding the extraordinary communications restrictions, the lack of due process, and the disproportionate number of Muslims in the CMUs in the letter.
- Take Action: Tell the Department of Justice to Uphold Due Process in Federal Prisons
- Factsheet: Communications Management Units: The Federal Prison System's Experiment in Social Isolation
- Aref, et al. v. Holder, et al.
- Public Comments about the CMUs: Stop Isolating Prisoners in Experimental Units
- Press Release: Members of Congress Send Letter of Inquiry to Bureau of Prisons over CMU Experimental Prison Units