The Center for Constitutional Rights works with communities under threat to fight for justice and liberation through litigation, advocacy, and strategic communications. Since 1966, we have taken on oppressive systems of power, including structural racism, gender oppression, economic inequity, and governmental overreach.
Too often, the law supports systems of power that violate our most fundamental rights and prevent people from living with dignity. We use creative and aggressive legal strategies against the most virulent forms of oppression to push the law to meet the demands of justice. Our advocacy work complements litigation to build power where it’s most needed, among communities who have been pushed to the margins. Through strategic communications, we shift the dominant narratives that normalize rights violations and increase public support for our efforts.
Our approach is holistic, fearless, and relentless. By partnering with communities fighting for social justice and centering their struggles for liberation, we are able to transform systems, policies, and public narratives. You have a role to play in this fight. Join forces with activists, lawyers, and storytellers to fight oppression and build power at ccrjustice.org.
Position Summary: We are looking for a temporary, short-term Communications Associate to write and edit a broad range of materials for the Center for Constitutional Rights, working closely with other communications staff as well as legal and advocacy staff. This temporary position is providing coverage for a permanent staff member who is out on leave. This position will last for 12 weeks total from May 28 to August 16.
- Drafting op-eds and blogs
- Drafting press releases, press statements, and solidarity statements
- Collecting and managing Center for Constitutional Rights press clips; assisting other staff in compiling sets of press clips they need
- Sharing responsibility with others in the Communications Department for maintenance of the website and approval of web content submitted by other departments
- Participating in departmental and organizational planning and projects and organization-wide committees, and carrying out work assigned
- Other related work as assigned by the Communications Director.
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience
- A belief in the mission of the Center for Constitutional Rights, demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, and comfort working in a progressive legal environment;
- Familiarity with the issues central to the Center for Constitutional Rights’ work and related experience with a legal organization or other non-profit is preferable but not required
- Strong written and oral communications skills and messaging instincts
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, proven ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and priorities under tight deadlines
- Superior attention to detail
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Integrity, grace under pressure and sense of humor
$26 per hour. This position is eligible for sick leave and a one (1) hour paid lunch.
Qualified candidates should visit https://ccrjustice.wufoo.com/forms/temporary-short-term-communications-associate/ to submit an online application. Applicants will be asked to submit a cover letter with resume and three writing samples. No phone calls please.
CCR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, LGBT AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE.