This is a new position, and an exciting opportunity for an experienced, innovative technologist with a desire to use their expertise for positive social change. The Technology Director (TD) will lead and develop the Center for Constitutional Rights' technology to advance our mission and align with our long-term strategic goals. The TD will lead the Center for Constitutional Rights' internal IT team in the management of day-to-day IT operations, as well as plan and execute new technology projects and initiatives. The Center for Constitutional Rights' website and databases are primarily administered by other departments; the TD will provide advice and support to them as needed.
The TD is a strategic and systems thinker who is also able to be hands-on when needed. They are a self-motivated learner with excellent communication skills and a desire to achieve high standards of technology excellence in ways that advances and strengthen our work. The TD will be adept and enthusiastic about communicating technical ideas and concepts to all Center for Constitutional Rights' staff, whatever their level of technical comfort or expertise. The TD grounds technology decisions and implementations in an understanding of and commitment to responsible data, information security and privacy, and ethics.
- Ensure efficient, effective and responsive daily IT operations;
- Oversee directly or through delegation all hardware, software, accounts, technology budget, inventories, and IT help desk;
- Hire, supervise, train, mentor, evaluate and support IT staff (currently two persons);
- With the Director of Operations (DO), assess technology needs and solutions through a lens of efficiency, functionality, security, privacy, and ethics;
- With DO, lead technology planning driven by the Center for Constitutional Rights' strategic goals;
- Design and implement technology changes and improvements with a user-centered approach;
- Coordinate with Development and Communications teams on issues of website and database development and maintenance, and multimedia needs;
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance with IT documentation, policies, and procedures;
- Continually monitor, assess and improve systems, practices, policies and solutions related to technology;
- Monitor and stay abreast of developments in relevant technology and digital security, and keep staff apprised of relevant developments;
- Develop and strengthen training materials, curricula and learning goals and opportunities for all staff;
- Help staff develop digital security plans and mitigation strategies for travel, events, and other risk scenarios;
- Oversee technology budget in conjunction with DO;
- Manage external technology vendor contracts and relationships; and
- Work with DO on implementing information and data management projects and solutions.
Current and 1-2 year priorities:
- Supporting a more geographically dispersed workforce:
- Developing better integration of technology cross-organizationally:
- Strengthening digital security:
- Strengthening staff comfort and competence with technology through training and support:
- Development of written IT documentation, policies, and schematics:
- Supporting planning and design of IT needs for new office space: and
- Supporting internal data management projects.
- 8+ years of senior level experience using technology to transform organizational effectiveness and goals;
- Technical experience: must have a solid understanding of data management, cybersecurity, digital transformation, and collaboration platforms; specific platforms include VMWare, Windows Server 2008, 2012 and 2016, Windows 10, G Suite, MS Active Directory;
- Experience/aptitude/facility in training both technical and non-technical staff; enthusiasm for helping others improve their tech knowledge and comfort level;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to communicate complex concepts appropriately to non-technical audiences;
- Proficiency with digital security concepts and applications; experience assessing risks and proactively developing and implementing security incident response;
- Ability to take initiative in driving strategies and solving problems;
- Strong analytical skills and orientation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated effectiveness supervising staff in a collaborative environment;
- Multi-cultural competence and comfort – ability to work with a diverse team and to work across differences at all levels;
- Advanced knowledge of desktop and server operating systems and applications, and onsite and cloud-based server infrastructures;
- Commitment to innovation and a strong understanding of the use of technology to enhance organizational effectiveness, efficiency and user experience;
- Experience developing integrated systems and processes in a complex environment;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in project management; proven ability to inspire change and lead others through transition;
- Strong social justice orientation; a belief in and commitment to the Center for Constitutional Rights; and
- Background/experience leading or applying technology in a social justice organization or context a strong plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits include employer contribution to 401K plan and flexible spending account, vacation, sick leave and holidays, and 100% organization paid health benefits including medical, dental, life, short, and long-term disability insurance.
Qualified candidates should visit https://ccrjustice.wufoo.com/forms/technology-director/ to submit an online application. Applicants will be asked to submit a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
THE CENTER FOR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, LGBTQI AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE.