Background: From taking on the NYPD’s racially discriminatory stop-and-frisk program to challenging indefinite detention and torture at Guantánamo, the Center for Constitutional Rights has been on the frontlines of the fight for social justice for 50 years. We’re a multiracial, diverse staff committed to building the power of the people and communities we represent. Whether it’s immigration detention, solitary confinement, the Movement for Black Lives, Muslim profiling, or Palestinian human rights, we fight for civil and human rights though creative use of litigation and advocacy.
CCR has a robust multi-channel communications program, including media relations, thought leadership, social media, email, video, and an award-winning website.
Position Summary: The communications director is responsible for overall management of the Communications Department, supervision of its four staff members, and coordination with other departments. She/he/they are an ambassador to the rest of the organization for the power and possibility of creative communications strategy and lead the development of communications strategy and vision and its integration into overall strategy.
This position is a member of the organization’s management team, which is currently comprised of the executive director, department directors, deputy legal directors, and the finance director.
- Lead the overall development of communications strategy and guide the department’s coordination with the Legal and Advocacy Department and case-specific communications plans
- Work closely with the Development Department to design and implement communications components of development strategies
- Establish and maintain systems to keep track of and coordinate the many different pieces of the department’s work and to ensure intra- as well as inter-departmental communication
- Supervise and mentor a staff of four, who are responsible for the day-to-day production and promotion of content
- Manage the department’s overall functioning, including its budget, contracts with outside vendors, grant reports, and regular meetings
- As a member of the Management Team, participate in the overall management of the organization, and help lead organization-wide projects and processes
- Minimum of 10 years communications experience, including experience in a leadership role, and a demonstrated track record of results in media relations and social media
- Supervisory experience
- Superior written and oral communications skills and messaging instincts
- Commitment to open communication, teamwork and collaboration, accountability, and professionalism
- Excellent leadership, planning and prioritization, communication, interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines while maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Ability to anticipate problems and use judgment appropriately to plan solutions and manage obstacles as they arise
- Ability to work as member of a team
- Integrity and a sense of humor
- A belief in the mission of the Center for Constitutional Rights, demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, and comfort working in a progressive legal environment
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits include employer contribution to 401K plan and flexible spending account, vacation, sick leave, and holidays, and 100% organization paid health benefits, including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and strong consideration will be given to early applicants. No phone calls please.
CCR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, LGBTQI, AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE.