The Administrative Assistant/Associate provides administrative support for CCR’s Legal and Advocacy department, and departmental directors, as outlined below.
From its roots representing civil rights activists in the South, to its recent challenges to the NYPD’s racially discriminatory stop-and-frisk program and indefinite detention and torture at Guantánamo, the Center for Constitutional Rights has been on the front lines of the fight for social justice for more than 50 years. We’re a multiracial, diverse staff committed to building the power of the people and communities we represent through the creative use of civil and human rights litigation, education, and advocacy around a range of government and corporate abuses in areas such as immigration detention, solitary confinement, racial and religious profiling, LGBTQI rights, Palestinian human rights, and support for social justice movements.
The Legal and Advocacy department is comprised of staff attorneys, Bertha Justice Fellows, Legal Workers, and Advocacy Program Managers, who engage in litigation and advocacy around existing CCR cases – and develop new, creative litigation and advocacy involving our core issues areas. The department is led by a Legal Director and a Deputy Legal Director who have implemented a team-based approach to activities and supervision.
- Under primary direction of director of the program, provide administrative and logistical support for CCR’s Ella Baker Summer Internship Program. This includes scheduling candidate interviews and communicating with candidates; during the summer internship program, scheduling program events and providing logistical support; other administrative support as requested by the director, including paperwork, receipts/expenses.
- Provide administrative support to Legal Director and Deputy Legal Director, including sending faxes, sorting mail, and completing other general administrative tasks, as well as scheduling and handling travel arrangements.
- Undertake departmental administrative needs including departmental note taking, finance related requests and reconciliation, maintenance of relevant legal agreements for the department, etc.
- Provide administrative support for departmental projects as needed, including assisting with efforts to transition to electronic case management systems, organizing electronic and hard files, and assisting legal workers with large litigation-related projects.
- Assist with legal intake as needed.
- Manage law library and legal subscriptions.
- Liaise with other departments on administrative matters, such as meeting coordination, contracts, database updates, etc.
- Participate in departmental and organizational planning and projects, and organization-wide committees, as designated.
- Perform other related work as assigned by the Legal Director or Deputy Legal Director.
- Minimum of two (2) years of related experience preferred; candidates with less will be considered for hire at the Assistant level
- Belief in the mission of the Center for Constitutional Rights and familiarity with the issues central to CCR’s work, and comfort working in a progressive legal environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills, proven ability to plan and meet deadlines and to efficiently manage multiple tasks and priorities under tight deadlines
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including ability to anticipate problems and use judgement appropriately to plan solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and grace under pressure
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as member of a team
- Integrity and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and utilize case management software preferred
- Close attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
Salary is commensurate with experience and subject to union collective bargaining agreement. The current salary range for this position is $53,778 to $76,715.
Benefits include employer contribution to 401K plan and flexible spending account, vacation, sick leave, and holidays, and 100 percent organization-paid health benefits including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter with resume to email@example.com with “Administrative Associate Search” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and strong consideration will be given to early applicants. No phone calls please.
CCR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, LGBTQI, AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE.