Join us on the 11th anniversary of Guantánamo prison to call on President Obama to fullfill his broken promise to shut it down, and for all branches of the U.S. government to uphold human rights. 166 men remain detained at Guantánamo; most should never have been detained in the first place and have been held for over ten years without any charge or trial. They must be tried in a fair court or released; Guantánamo must be shut down.
WHEN: Friday, January 11, 2013 – Noon to 1:30PM
WHERE: Washington DC. Gather on the steps of the Supreme Court, march via the Capitol to the White House
March in Washington DC –
• March from the Supreme Court via the Capitol to the White House
• Gather @ Noon on the steps of the Supreme Court
• After the march, at 2:30PM: Interfaith Prayer Service & Policy Briefing at NY Ave Presbyterian Church (1313 NY Ave. NW)
• Warm beverages/snacks will be available at UM Building (100 Maryland Ave) from 10:30 am-12:00 and at NY Ave Presbyterian Church, starting at 1:30 pm.
• Speakers: CCR Senior Staff Attorney Pardiss Kebriaei,others TBA
• Promotional coalition flier -- help spread the word!
• Info on other anti-GTMO rallies in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Palo Alto, and London.
Sponsoring Organizations: Center for Constitutional Rights, Amnesty International USA, Bill of Rights Defense Committee, Catholic Worker, CloseGuantanamo.Org, Code Pink, Council on American Islamic Relations, International Justice Network, Liberty Coalition, National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance, No More Guantánamos, North Carolina Stop Torture Now, Pax Christi USA, Physicians for Human Rights, Rabbis for Human Rights North America, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, Tackling Torture at the Top, Torture Abolition and Survivors Support Coalition, Veterans for Peace, Voices for Creative Non Violence, War Resisters League, Washington Region Religious Campaign Against Torture, Witness Against Torture, Women Against Military Madness, World Can’t Wait